10 healthy reasons why you should consume bitter melon Juice every day.
Bitter melon looks like a cucumber with bumps all over it. It flourishes in hot and humid climates and is common in Asian countries and South America. Bitter melon is usually added to stir-fry or may be enjoyed stuffed. It may also be added to the diet as a supplement. It has a very bitter taste, hence its name, “Bitter melon.” Western cultures may not be used to the extremely bitter taste, but it can sweeten your health with its disease preventing properties.
Bitter melon contains a lectin which reduces blood glucose concentrations by acting on peripheral tissues and suppressing appetite: similar to the effects of insulin in the brain. Lectin is thought to be a major factor behind the hypoglycemic effect that develops after eating bitter melon.
Bitter melon is a fruit that contains three active substances with anti-diabetic properties, including charantin, which has been confirmed to have a blood glucose-lowering effect, vicine and an insulin-like compound known as polypeptide-p. These substances either work individually or together to help reduce blood sugar levels.
Bitter melon can be consumed as a food or juiced. Here are 10 healthy reasons why bitter melon / bitter melon juice should be incorporated into your daily diet:
- Lowers Cholesterol: Because is rich in phytonutrients and antioxidants, tt helps to control the bad cholesterol in the body. Bitter melon has shown remarkable results in lowering bad cholesterol levels in the blood. It prevents the arteries from getting clogged and helps to keep the heart healthy.
- Boosts Immunity: The antioxidant property in bitter melon are like a proper defense system to fight against illness. It helps to improve the body’s overall immunity to fight diseases.
- Prevents Cancer: Bitter melon contains a wealth of antioxidants, it has anti-cancer properties and is one of the best options to fight against cancer. These cancer-fighting elements prevent the cancer cells present in the body from multiplying.
- Aids in weight loss: Bitter melon contains very little calories, it is a rich source of phytonutrients and antioxidants which are good for digestion and they accelerate the metabolic rate.
- Kills Intestinal Worms: The anthelmintic compounds present in bitter melon help to kill the worms that are present in the intestines.
- Get Rid Of Hangover: It helps to get rid of toxins in the body and has anti-intoxication properties which make it a great choice to get rid of hangovers.
- Liver Regeneration: Bitter Melon helps to cleanse your liver and regenerate the cells. It is also good for skin, it has anti-inflammatory properties, it also helps to flush toxins from your skin.
- Respiratory Disorders: If you have chronic respiratory diseases like asthma or bronchitis, then having bitter melon on a regular basis will help you overcome them.
- Diabetes: Bitter melon juice is great for people who have diabetes type 2. Bitter melon helps to control blood sugar levels and cures insulin resistance.
- Stimulates digestion: It helps to relieve indigestion and constipation.
Even though bitter melon juice is bitter in taste, one should consider including it in their daily diet to aid in the prevention of many diseases and ailments.
Bitter Melon Pineapple, Guava Juice recipe
- ½ medium-size bitter melon aka bitter melon remove seeds and pith, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup pineapple cut in chunks
- 1 cup guava cut in chunks (If Guava is not available, substitute with Mango instead)
- 1 cup mango substitute, remove the pit
- 1 apple substitute/optional,
- ½ small papaya substitute/optional
- honey or sugar syrup sweeten to taste
- Juice all of the ingredients together in a Juicer and serve.