Did you know that by the time you experience the sensation of thirst, you are already dehydrated?
That thirst sensation is your body’s call for re-hydration. Water is the body’s source of life. Our bodies are composed of 60-75 % of water. Water serves a number of essential functions that keeps our bodies sustained:
- It’s the best anti-aging treatment. It moisturizes the skin, keeps it fresh, soft, glowing, smooth and it gets rid of wrinkles. Since the skin is our body’s largest organ, consuming water regularly, in plentiful amounts, can improve its color, texture, keep it building new cells properly, and of course, regulate the body’s temperature through sweating.
- It flushes toxins from the body and keeps the organs healthy by getting rid of waste and bacteria through sweat and urination. If we don’t drink enough water, we don’t flush out waste and it collects in our bodies which can result in numerous health-related problems. When it is combined with fiber, water can cure constipation. thus reducing the risk of kidney stones and urinary tract infections.
- Sometimes we think we are hungry when we are actually thirsty. Our body starts turning on all the alarms when we ignore our thirst. It promotes weight loss, fills you up and can serve as an appetite suppressant if consumed prior to the meal, thus reducing hunger and eating intake.
- Staying hydrated maximizes physical/athletic performance and reduces muscle fatigue when working out and helps your body recuperate faster. Dehydration can lead to weakness, fatigue, dizziness, and electrolyte imbalance. Proper hydration keeps joints lubricated which reduces joint pain by keeping the cartilage soft and hydrated. It also helps muscle elasticity.
- Dehydration can affect your mood and make you grumpy and confused. Since your brain is mostly water, drinking water helps you think, keeps you from feeling groggy, improves your mood, focus, concentration and increases alertness. It also boosts your energy levels.
- Sometimes headaches, migraines, and back pains can be caused by dehydration. Drinking water can prevent or alleviate these symptoms which are commonly caused by dehydration.
When the body is functioning at its best, you will feel great and be happy!
Leave a Reply